Thursday 1 September 2016

Regina, Ode to a Queen - Relics & Artifacts Talent Search Entry

Hello friends, today I am sharing my project for the
RELICS & ARTIFACTS® International Talent Search I am a huge fan of Sandra Evertson, and the whole Relic & Artifacts line. This is a fun chance to play with my items I had in my stash and toss my hat in the ring for the talent search. I have created this "royal" canvas for my entry.
 
 
My first task was to alter this gorgeous large cameo. I love the image on it, it really reminded me of Queen Victoria! I didn't want to do much to it, but I wanted the amazing detail to show, so I used some gold Gilder's Paste and  that did the trick nicely. I rubbed all over the raised areas and that picked up all the details.
 
 
Next, I wanted to bling up the large cameo piece as the centre focal point of my project, and I had some great bling trim from Shabby is Chic Boutique to use. I got out some alcohol inks in a lovely aqua and raspberry colour and gave them the once over with the inks. They turned out great!
 
 
 
 
I glued the bling to the large cameo, layering on each row. I used glossy accents for this, as it dries quick and clear.
 
 
While the cameo was drying, I got my canvas ready. For this I used some paper from my stash, and stamped over it with some gold ink. I then got out my Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, and went around the edges with that and also added some all over the paper to give it a worn look.
 
Next, I glued it down to the canvas, and added some antique lace to the top and bottom for some nice texture.
 
My next step was to emboss some Tim Holtz Grunge Board letters with some Zing! Gold Glitter embossing powder. I chose the word "Regina" as it is Latin for Queen. I glued the letters down on the canvas, and then I used some pearl trim from Shabby is Chic Boutique around the edge of the canvas to add a more regal look.
 
 
Now, it was time to work on the wings. This was also fairly easy to do. I used some Ranger distress sprays in Tumbled Glass and Vintage photo on the wings, letting the spray get into the recesses on the wings. Then, I painted over that with a watered down coat of gesso, so some of the colour tones still came through. Finally, I gave them a little rub with more of the gold Gilder's Paste, and they were now ready to add to the canvas.
 
 
So, now I am ready to pull it all together. I used two layers of double sided foam tape to prop up the large cameo, and also added some Beacon FabriTac glue to make sure it held down well. I added the altered wings to each side of the cameo and a gorgeous bling crown, also from Shabby is Chic Boutique to the top of the canvas. This gave my Queen her crown!
 
 
The finishing touch was a royal red velvet bow at the base of the cameo, and my piece was done.
 


 
I am pretty thrilled with how it came out. It will be hanging in my art studio next to my other Relics & Artifacts treasures I have up.
 
 
 
 
If you are wanting to join in the Talent Search too, check out the link HERE
 
 I hope you found some inspiration here today, and check out the R & A Facebook group HERE too.
 
 Thanks for stopping by today!
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment